Thursday 28 May 2009

We're not all going to Graceland




Following a near death experience this Saturday, I felt the need to update my blog. Seriously!

Ok so there's a little bit of gossip that Paul Simon cheated Lady Smith Black Mambazo from the rights to the music they produced with him on the Graceland album. The story is Paul basically made millions from an album that rejuvenated his career. The album also became a great platform for both Paul and LadySmith to showcase the injustices that took place in old Apartheid South Africa . So it is difficult to hear that Paul took all the credit for it when it is clearly the success of the project was due to the distinctly Zulu rhythms produced by LSBM.

Now Ed, was terribly upset when he heard this. I could see from the corner of my eye (I was driving ) that this news troubled his soul. So I went online to try and verify this information...but nothing, nada? So this is a shout out to anyone who knows whether this information is true or false and has some documents to prove. As a Natal girl who still is in love with the Graceland album I hope Paul can be proven wrong and this is not another culture vulture incident. Also if this information is incorrect, this will set my hippie boyfriends heart as ease, and he can continue believing in the goodness in humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment